Friday, October 03, 2008

sore feet = spiritual contentment

Ok, so I've been complaining a lot about the "green" movement. But, I remember our family back in the day (probably about early 90's when my oldest brother was thinking of doing conservation biology as a major) wishing that the rest of the world would get a clue. For my freshman writing class I even chose to do my big term paper on deforestation. So, why does the "green movement" bug me? It shouldn't... I should be happy that the rest of the world is now becoming aware of the environment around them. And even though most are excited about the green movement and will wear the shirt, etc yet actually do nothing about it...neither do I. I mean, I bought one of those reusable grocery bags...but how often do I actually remember to take it into the store?

I took one small step (so to speak) forward yesterday, though... I walked to work. I think maybe it was about 4 miles round trip and took probably a little more than a half hour each way... not too bad. I wonder if I can make myself continue... even if only once a week.

You might have noticed my link to this blog on my links list...sometimes he kind of annoys me (read 1st paragraph of this post), but I appreciate that he was one of the original green movers that was willing to actually make drastic lifestyle changes a few years ago.

After finally arriving home from work yesterday, the bottom of my feet had a sharp, tingling sensation that I only relate to working at the temple for 4+ hours on my feet. Now, the real test: see if I can keep it up without falling into the green movement trend of bragging about it. Oops. Too late.

6 comments:

jojoba said...

It's hard to be different when everyone else is trying to be different in the same way you are.

Jeff said...

I saw an awesome commercial where this mom gets in her car drives to the house next door and drops off her son to go play. I'm pretty sure cars will make that family fat.

Andrea said...

You seriously walked?! You're crazy. I have some of the grocery bags too.. it might help if I actually put them in my car to use instead of hanging in a closet.

Mary Ann said...

Melissa COX, It seems to me that you just might be a genuine green Democrat. My advice: Don't fight it--EMBRACE IT! :)

KC said...

or you could consider the other side - without a car or money, you are never able to go anywhere so you stay at home all day. obesity sets in quite quickly. so does boredom. when martha stewart was on house arrest i laughed - she has NO IDEA. try going grocery shopping (w/o a car) with 2 kids under 4 with a wagon to carry your food home, now carry that wagon up several flights of stairs (that makes climbing up the stairs by the bell tower at byu look easy), and heavy traffic with people yelling obscenities at you as they drive by in their air-conditioned vehicles, and don't break an egg doing it. it's not easy being green. have compassion on us poor obese folks who have no other choice.

Anonymous said...

I bet you are annoyed with the "green movement" for the same reason I am. People only are doing it b.c it's cool. It's the dreaded mob mentality and it seems no one has an original thought. "Oh I'm not going to recycle or cut back on driving....Wait, now it's cool and there are ads about it so I'm going to do it now." Ticks me off for that reason. How about you?

Lou =) When do you wanna go to Bodyworlds? December is fine with me if that is the best time for you.