Tuesday, October 07, 2008

the land of my fathers

A week and a half ago I was able to go down to southern Utah for a couple of days and spend yet another great couple days at Stacey's parent's house. I'm sure they are sick of me by now...but I'm sure not sick of their scone breakfast or tacos...or fall apart roast.

That Saturday, my friends followed me on a bit of a wild goose-chase to find the lytle nature preserve, a place from my childhood where I spent much time:

playing with toads in the mud,
looking for horned lizards,
clearing nature trails,
watching dad catch rattle snakes,
luring ant lions out of their lairs,
picking cholla cactus needles out of my arms and legs,
getting dust in my eye,
killing invasive frogs and eating their legs,
sleeping in a trailer that hadn't been cleaned for 20 years.
climbing the movie screen (as we call it).

We might have done a few of these on this trip as well...but mostly we just hiked the movie screen. here are some pictures of our 10 minute 'scramble'.

View from the top, Eastward
View from the top, Westward
A very brave Judith
That night we went and saw Les Mis. at the Tuacahn. Notice how everyone else is dressed in cute blouses and I'm wearing a t-shirt that I pretty much only use camping...some occasions just call for fancy.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

So very jealous.

Mary Ann said...

I'm sad I missed out on the scramble. It looks like fun.

CZ said...

I just want you to know the hike wasn't so bad and if it hadn't been for the uncontrollable sweating I would have loved the whole experience. Thanks for sharing part of your childhood....I wish I could share some of mine....but cows just aren't as exciting as frogs and lizards.

Jeff said...

It looks like you had a great adventure. My favorite part was the list of yummy things you got to eat. Mmmmmmmm scones.

jojoba said...

Haha. I was thinking of things to eat like frog legs. Ahhhhhh the good ol days