Tuesday, March 07, 2006

selfish

I wish I knew what to write.
The other day, I was talking to mom about her institute lesson and she asked me how we get rid of selfishness in ourselves when we are surrounded by selfish people? I immediately thought of all the people I know that are selfish...how selfish of me. She asked who I knew that wasn't selfish. My brother and father came to mind. I'm sure there are others....
So, later that day, that brother IMed me and the subject came up. "How do you keep from being selfish when surrounded by selfish people?" I asked. He immediately said, "I really don't think I am surrounded by selfish people." Right, I never meant to insinuate that his wife and kids are selfish. That'll teach me. What I meant was that the world, in general, is selfish. The natural man is selfish. At least mine is. Then the realization hit me. Not only does he not view his wife and kids as selfish, but he also doesn't view the world as selfish. That's why he, himself, is not selfish.
I believe the reason I am a selfish person is because I am constantly begrudging the selfishness of those around me. Don't they see how unselfish I am compared to them? Oh my, how ironc.
I still don't know how to go about not viewing others as selfish, though. Please, share your thoughts....

4 comments:

entrada1 said...

Larsh!

Yay! I get the first comment!!!!
Great Post... you'll have to introduce me to that unselfish fellow someday-- I could use his advice!

I don't really think, though, that you are selfish. I've seen you in action, and know the truth!

Jon said...

truely a dizzying intellect. I think some of it has to do with not thinking so much, and serving others. I could be wrong about that, though, since I am always thinking and thinking about myself. :)

jojoba said...

So how can we humble ourselves? It is almost guaranteed that if the Lord humbles us it will be painful, so we all want to try and be meek, right. I feel like I'm rambling and didn't answer any questions...but it's one of those things where if we seriously try, we will be blessed with what we strive for.

glarcy said...

I appreciate Dccox's comments on the subject...check out his blog:
Dccox.blogspot.com