Saturday, March 25, 2006

Oh so helpful

I visited Bethany, Tim and their new baby, Grace, a couple of days ago. For those who don't know, Bethany is a sister that I trained on my mission...It's always fun to pause and think that life seems to be moving ahead for everyone but me....
Ok, pause over.
Bethany and Tim were talking about Bethany's mom being there and how helpful she was. I started reminiscing about visiting my brother and sister-in-law right after they had their first baby....
"She would get up before us and make us breakfast," said Tim "and clean the house...."
"Hmmm," thought I, "I don't remember doing any of that when I went to 'help out'..." A sickening feeling came over me. Had I been totally ignorant, the whole time I was there to help, that I was there to help? Were they the ones slaving over the breakfast, lunch and dinner meals so that I would be able to eat? Were they worrying about how clean the house was for their 'guest'?
Why?
why, why, why, why, why did I not think about this before? I hope they have forgiven me by now....

3 comments:

Jon said...

1. Rob will get up before anyone staying there no matter what, so it would have turned into an escalating wake-fest ending in no one getting any sleep at all.

2. I really don't think it is as big a deal as you think, even if you were a little bit of a leech (which I doubt, since our family is pretty independent and helpful naturally), and they have probably forgotten all about it, whether you helped or not.

3. So no need to worry about it or beat yourself up anymore.

entrada1 said...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Larsh, you're the best! You did help out! You did help clean! You did help cook! But actually, the critical "help needed" phase was past by the time you came. You helped out by being with Cynthia while I was gone, and giving her well-needed breaks!

We were so grateful for you to come, and so pleased and happy that you would even want to...

Now I feel worried that we didn't make our gratitude well-enough known to you-- otherwise, you wouldn't have to worry about this!

Forgiven you? We're too thankful for your help to think about that!

glarcy said...

whew! that's a relief...but of course you are too generous to actually admit that you may have been cursing me this whole time ;)
heh. I think some distance from that situation (3.5 years!) has made me forget what I really did to help, maybe? I can only hope that's it... I remember your gratitude, actually, and I think that's another reason why I never even imagined that I was leeching off you both for a week. You made me feel like I was doing you the greatest of favors when you were the ones really helping me out!