Monday, August 09, 2010

part 16 of 364

Things that keep Melissa alive

Part 16: the hike

Most everyone out there knows about my headaches. They are still much of a mystery to me in how they hurt, where they are located and when they decide to arrive. But there is one conclusion I have made: My shoulders like to work. When they do, my head is generally happy.

So I try to take long enough hikes that require me to carry a backpack. And then offer to carry everyone's water. 2 weeks ago, Jon, Katie, Jenny Jo and I hiked from Big Springs over to Rock Canyon. That is probably the longest hike I've ever been on and by the end my shoulders were so tired...but oh so happy. There were also some pretty spectacular views from the top.
It's possible walter's feet hurt worse than mine by the end

Depression terraces

This last saturday, I went on another hike with my friend Catherine. We decided to explore the Oquirrh mountains above Kennecott. It afforded some pretty spectacular views of the mine and of Catherine.


Catherine in her element: Texting.

Working my shoulders keeps my headaches at bay and that keeps me alive! ~Now: what do I do when winter comes?

7 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Um, you could carry my baby around on your back. I'm pretty sure she'll be a chubber.

jojoba said...

I like the last photo a lot, although the second one does have a very scenic quality. I've told you again and again: cross-country ski in the winter. You'll wear a backpack and it will be awesome.

Andrea said...

The Oquirrh hike looks awesome!

Jeff said...

I will always let you carry water for me. Robyn and I should go hiking with you sometime.

Stacey said...

Snowshoe!

Cox Family said...

I'll tell you what, I'll call you with all my problems and complaints and you can carry them on your shoulders and I can get them off mine! Is it a deal?

Lou said...

You can carry my backpack full of books around campus for me. It'll be like old times!