Thursday, July 29, 2010

farewell: the suit


I regained my faith in mankind a few weeks ago. Then, just that quickly, I lost it again last night. Let me 'splain:

1) By mankind, I am actually not including women here. Just Men...or "Man"... or, more accurately: Boys.

2) It's one of those faiths that you don't realize you've lost until you find it again. Do you ever have that happen?

All clear? Ok, let me go back a bit farther.

The Provo Temple has been closed for the last 6 weeks. A few weeks ago, I was standing at one of the front positions late in the evening. During the half hour I was standing there, one amazing suit after another walked by me, exiting the temple. Not just nice or expensive suits. But a variety of stripes, cottons, tans, baby blues and grays and all perfectly fitting and straight-legged. Said suits left me amazed and a reunited with my ancient belief that man can dress himself; and do it well, if he has to. It also left me feeling a little guilty for checking out many a well-dress-behind as it walked away from me in the temple.

Last night I settled into the same position at the temple; anxious for my favorite show to begin. But to my disappointment, only ONE nicely tailored, brown cotton suit walked by me the entire 30 mins. Upon further mental evaluation, I realized that the Provo Temple is now open. Do you know what this means?

This means the nice suits have always been around. But they are only in the Provo Temple district. What else is in the Provo Temple district? yes: BYU. What does this mean, you ask? It means I am still attracted to 22-24 year old boys. yes: BOYS. How do I adjust my tastes so that I'm actually attracted to guys my age? I better start liking braided belts. Fast.

10 comments:

Andrea said...

oh no, not the braided belt, don't do it. it is a shame the younger boys look and dress real nice, im with you on that one. dang byu.. maybe you should transfer temples :)

scott said...

There can only be one explaination, the men in Provo are dressing themselves, and the men at the timp temple are being dressed by their wives!

Mary Ann said...

Ouch, Scott! What's that supposed to mean? Melissa, maybe a move outside of Utah County would solve the problem...

glarcy said...

I think scott might be onto something... except it's the opposite! It could be that the BYU crowd have either their girlfriends or their wives to dress them whereas the Timp temple crowd have been married so long that their wives no longer care anymore.

Tracy Blackburn said...

i think you should go with the transfer idea and stick with the younger crowd. boys our age are a) married or b)loaded down with baggage and will never commit anyhow. the younger crowd on the otherhand can a)dress well and b)all you'll need to do is put them through school...or, we could just stick with being single...

jojoba said...

I don't know why my first comment didn't post. I think you should move to Provo, where the well-dressed men live

Cox Family said...

There are worse things than a braided belt. You can always change them, look what I did for Rob.

Julie said...

It could also mean that the men who come to the Timp temple wore out their mission suits and haven't bought new ones. OR it could mean that the men who come to the Timp temple have baby spit-up on their suits and needed them to be dry-cleaned. Or it could mean that when you're standing at M12, you start doing what you can to stay awake. :) One of the workers told me that she was counting the number of left-handed writers at the prayer rolls. Try that instead of suit-watching next time. Maybe it's not as depressing. :)

Tia said...

Ha! Braided belts...that was so spot on!

Jeff said...

I always wear a suit to the temple, but that is the only time I wear a suit. They are incredibly uncomfortable.

I hope your show goes well in the future.