Tuesday, August 31, 2010

part 18 of 364

Things that keep Melissa alive

Part 18: Air + Pillow = best $5 ever spent

Have I ever mentioned the words Headache, Neck, Spine, or Smash-my-head-with-a-cinder-block on here? Let me give you a hint: Yes, I have.

I have a spine that was not made to do somersaults, sit-ups or sit on airplanes. But to be fair, was anybody's spine made to sit on airplanes? Do any of you out there find airline seats comfy? I can't figure out if they were made for super short, or super tall people because no one with an average height has the head rest hit them in the right place. While I'm on the subject, is there someone we can petition about this? What if I sent out a massive email forwarding campaign where people could add their name to a list petitioning to make airline seats fit human bodies, instead of aliens? I wonder who we send such a petition to...

Anyway, back to the survival of Melissa on airplanes: A couple years ago I borrowed my friend Julie's blow-up neck pillow and immediately decided they are pointless to use as they were made. But, I was so desperate for something to ease my discomfort that I just shoved it behind my shoulder blades and gasped in disbelief. I was comfortable! I found that if I don't blow it up all the way, it can be used more universally like on my lower back if I prefer, or wherever. I've even sat on it before when my sit bones were feeling airline-seat bruised.

It took me a while to realize that if it's great on airplanes, it's stupendous on a long car ride! But what about those foreign hotels that think a 1/4 inch slab of fluff = a pillow for a bed? No problem! Blow up the neck pillow as high or low as you need to make the tortilla pillow just the right height for your neck and shoulders. Then stick it underneath!

Forget Obama's health care plan. I'm trusting my well-being to my $5 velveteen neck pillow. Don't leave home without it!

7 comments:

jojoba said...

Your impassioned defense of fuzzy neck pillows has inspired me.

Andrea said...

you should be in sales or marketing. im sold.

Cox Family said...

I think airline seats are made for short people because I've always been comfortable on an airplane, except for my air sickness, but I don't think it's the seat's fault. For once something is good for short people, don't take it away!

Tia said...

I love your new look for the blog! I never leave for a trip (car or plane) without mine! I bought my first one in the Minneapolis airport in 2006 and haven't been the same since. I prefer the foam pillows though.

Jeff said...

I'm definitely on board for the campaign to make airlines fit humans. I'll do whatever needs to be done to make this happen.

Mary Ann said...

I used mine a lot on my backpacking trip to Europe, but I've never really thought to use it on plane rides. I guess I've just gotten used to being extremely uncomfortable on them. I can usually fall asleep anyway. Weird.

Tracy Blackburn said...

i like tortilla pillows