Tuesday, March 17, 2009

tighten those belts: signs of the bad economy


Times are bad...we all know that.

Here are some of the tell-tale signs that things really are as bad as they all say (thanks for your help with this, Tracy):

No parking at the rec center - People are buying rec passes instead of forking out the dough for the slightly cleaner, newer, more fashionable and less smelly gym memberships.

Gas prices remain relatively low - This has its own predictable side effect...people will start buying gas guzzlers again because - hey! gas is cheap! (the side effect to that? - GE and Ford will once again be selling their favorite SUV's and the economy will start to rebound...cha-CHing!)

Investing your money is actually throwing your money away (but don't you dare stop!) - I put $1650 dollars in my Roth IRA in the last 6 months. Guess how much is actually in there? That's right - $1568. I'm so glad I'm investing my money....

70% of everyone I know seems to be worried about their job or is currently looking for one -The other 30% are teachers.

The gov't is going into deeper and deeper debt - That's got to help, right?

Cheap food and entertainment is all the rage - There's no wait for seating at Bombay house but Fat Cats is at least an hour wait.

Starbucks closed 600 of its stores, if not more - What is wrong with this country?!

Cheaper prices on everything! - ok...everyone says this but I've yet to see it. I guess I'll continue to sit back and wait for all those deals to come around.

Old Navy has resorted to using mannequins in their printed ads to model their clothes instead of paying for real people/models

Arby's no longer serves homestyle fries

A new generation of depressionistic spenders - here's an article about that...and a quote from it:

"As many economists have noted, cutting spending is the worst thing people with means can do for the economy right now. But that argument seems to have little traction, especially because even those with steady paychecks and no fear of losing their job have seen their net worth decline and their retirement savings evaporate."

And the number one sign of the bad economic times:

No donuts at the 7 stake tubing activity - "budget cuts". Really...it was heart breaking.

Any that I missed? What are some you have noticed?

5 comments:

Andrea said...

As long as Arby's still as curly fries.. the economy isn't all that bad.

jojoba said...

I never really liked Arby's anyway.

Jeff said...

I hear ya, I found an old statement for my 401k in the 4th quarter of 2006. The balance was exactly what the balance is right now. I have put alot of money in that account since the 4th quarter of 2006. But, the way I try to look at it is that all of the shares of every company have gone on sale, so now is the time to continue to buy. I'm confident the market will bounce back, it is just disconcerting when I wonder how long it will take.

marlamuppets said...

hysterical about the old navy ad. not getting real actors... ha ha ha ha.
hilarious.

Julie Baldwin said...

I'm glad I am not the only one who is depressed over the loss of Home Style fries at Arby's. What is our world coming to? At least we still have Frosties from Wendy's. I just wouldn't be able to handle that.