Monday, February 23, 2009

happy birthday, february

February is a special month. Here are some special things that I have found about February:

Black History Month: Since I am as white as they come, I celebrate this by making countless "BHM" mix cd's with such ethnic artists as: Tracy Chapman, Miriam Makeba, Taj Mahal, Ben Harper, Bob Marley, Otis Redding and Michael Jackson (mental note: remove vanilla ice off my BHM mix...it turns out he's not black).

Only 28 days: You would think February being shorter would make winter seem shorter too, but no.

Month of birthdays: 3 of my favorite people (not including me) celebrate their birthdays in February. That makes February the month with the most birthdays of my favorite people...so...Happy Birthday, my favorite people! (you know who you are). Actually, June maybe takes the number one spot because it is also full of birthdays and one of them is mine...sorry February. But, I also know several people my age who have given birth to all or most of their children in February...not sure what that means...maybe that May is the new Valentine's month?

Abandoning of new year's resolutions: It's the first real month of the year where I can begin to relax on my resolutions again...and the gym crowds start to dwindle...scratch that, I just went to the gym and it was as busy as ever...let's replace that with temple crowds start to dwindle (this I have noticed for sure).

So...February, now that I have proven how special you are, please feel free to come around again in 12 months. But this time give me more warning so I can go out and buy birthday presents.

8 comments:

jojoba said...

I thought August was the best month. Isn't that the month of the birthday of your favorite person?

Jeff said...

I have 2 siblings who have birthdays in February. (One of them happens to be the only Stockett boy you haven't been on a date with.) Anyway, that is very strange. I wonder what it is about February (or May for that matter)

KC said...

Interesting... February is the only month in my calendar that has no birthdays or anniversaries. The rest of the months average 6 events each.

I understand that your favorite people are NOT related to me! At least I know how the cards fall. ;)

glarcy said...

well...you don't know how many "favorites" I have :) It is useful to note that no one in our family was born in that month...but that doesn't mean they're not favorites.

Julie Baldwin said...

You forgot Groundhog Day. I know someday that holiday will really catch on. Christmas WATCH OUT!!! The marketing teams are working on it right now....or not. :)

Trevor said...

Vanilla ice isn't black? . . .

jojoba said...

Hellooo...vanilla?

Trevor said...

I guess I never thought about it. . .