Wednesday, February 18, 2009

anger: one letter short of danger

I'll admit it, I have a short fuse. I've already reviewed for you (in my previous post) how I patiently wait through automated systems for customer service reps...needless to say, I have long felt like I have the shortest fuse in my family. Bless them for being so constantly patient with me.

You may think I hide it well, but that's just because you don't know me well enough to have witnessed one of my moments. Moments that cause those in my presence to shrink in the presence of danger. Moments I am not proud of.

Last week was my week to park under the covered parking. Twice, as I was driving up to park, I would be halted by some sort of dodge mini suv that had stolen our covered spot. Of course, both times it snowed overnight while my car was not nestled under it's protective overhang. Feelings of unhappiness and begrudgement followed. My roommate Judith seemed pretty sure that it was our upstairs neighbors who were the culprits, even though they wouldn't claim responsibility.

Fast forward to yesterday: I...

1. Stopped by the library to pick up the next book on my book list: The Dance of Anger.
2. Drove home to my apartment to begin reading: The Dance of Anger.
3. Parked in uncovered parking (it's stacey's turn for covered).
4. Saw that another car had once again stolen our covered spot.
5. Steam flew out my ears and my body writhed as I did: The Dance of Anger.
6. Did The Dance of Anger up the stairs to our neighbor and pounded on their door.
7. Went inside my house and began to read: The Dance of Anger.

10 comments:

jojoba said...

This may make you mad, but I think you are at least in the running for shortest fuse. I'm glad you recognize this, though.

glarcy said...

I'm soo ANGRY!!! - thanks a lot.

Mary Ann said...

I guess I don't know you as well as I thought I did because I have never seen you really angry. Now I'm kind of curious. I might even try to make you mad...

Jeff said...

I've never seen you really angry. I have an angry beast inside of me that very rarely comes out. But when it does it destroys all in its path. The angry beast inside of me wanted to hear about how you caught your neighbors in the act of parking there and totally dominated them somehow. Maybe you should have the car towed or something next time.

Erin said...

Wait, wait what happened between #6 and #7 ?

KC said...

Do you have a machete or a weedeater handy? they're very useful in situations like this.

glarcy said...

ok, it's not very exciting but I pounded on my neighbor's door a couple times and finally a lady came and opened it slowly...the room was all dark and she was blinking. So I calmly asked if she knew whose car that was. Of course, she didn't. I went downstairs and wrote a note for the person and left it on their car. Then judith and I opened our blinds and turned off the lights and watched from our kitchen window until a man came from across the street, read the note, got in, and left. If he comes back, I'm soo towing.

Trevor said...

Haha, that is so funny. Remember when your friend put that note on my car for parking there?

db said...

So every once in a while we have guests that I encourage to park in a spot closer to our condo where I swear nobody ever parks in. In both cases they got a note. I've given up on those seemingly-vacant spots. I now tell them to park in visitor or on the street (since parking on the street is closer than visitor).

Hopefully the note works. If not, TOW, BABY!

jaustin620 said...

Melissa, I about cracked up reading your blog. You are so funny. Jana told me to read it and I'm glad I did. Of course, I haven't read the whole thing yet! Aunt Jane