Thursday, September 11, 2008

your chance to vote for the best awkward melissa moment of the week.

let's face it. This could be a weekly post, I'm that consistently awkward...maybe I will make it one.

1. A coworker that sits near me comes back from a lengthy time off getting married, going on a honeymoon, etc. While she was gone that left 3 of us in the vicinity of our office. When she gets back I hear her talking to one of the other three (their desks are right next to each other). Then I hear her say: "is melissa here?!" I yell over the cube that I am and she says something like "did you survive without me?"

"Heck no...it was sooo boring...." then realize what I was insinuating about the other 2...and keep mumbling other incoherent patchup jobs that make no sense. Finally I just put my earphones in and pretend to be busy with work. oops, no offense other 2 gals...really...it wasn't any more boring than usual.

2. Last night at the temple, I was chatting with a fellow temple worker about BYU football and I mention that I probably got my feverish football mentality from my Dad. That somehow illicited the question:
"where does your dad live?"

3. A few months ago, a friend lined me up with a guy that happened to work in my same building and our offices even share a breakroom. We emailed back and forth quite a bit before actually meeting. I was really enjoying the emails and I thought he was too. Then we met and went to lunch and found out all this stuff we have in common. It was awesome. I emailed him afterward to make sure he knew I would love to do something again, and he emailed back saying he was going out of town but wanted to do something when he got back....Then nothing. A few times I've seen him distantly in the parking lot at work and he always seems to have his head turned conveniently away from me.

So, today I'm sitting at my desk and realize that I have to go use the bathroom real bad. I walk out into the hallway toward the bathroom and realize he is standing right there filling up his water bottle at the drinking fountain...but he's looking down and doesn't see me. I panic, stop in my tracks 10 feet in front of him, do a 180, and back track into the breakroom. But just as I turn around, I'm pretty sure I see him out of the corner of my eye look up at me and watch my retreat.

7 comments:

jojoba said...

I vote for #3. I don't know why.

Andrea said...

Ha, me too. I can't stop laughing. I wish I still worked in the office to witness that.

Mary Ann said...

Yeah, I vote for #3 also. I love awkward-Melissa-moment. I am left wanting more.

marlamuppets said...

i think boys are dumb. :)
and i have lots of awkward moments too but aren't they entertaining?
i think they are.

Jeff said...

I definitely vote for number 3. It is clearly the most awkward, but it fills my heart with sadness because I remember you telling me about that guy and I was excited for you to marry him. (Not that you were making any such plans at the time, but I certainly was.)

rob said...

Haha! #3 is the best! (and so are you!)

Jon said...

i guess number 3 is a bit awkward after all. Sorry i was wrong.