Tuesday, September 02, 2008

'nobody feels good!...after childhood, it's a fact of life!'

I think I'm a drug addict. I think the biggest warning sign was on a trip to Boise with my mom and bro when I said..."oh dang...I forgot my meds". That just sounds wrong. But, really...I don't go on any trip without a stash of Excedrin and ibuprofen. I have had headaches my whole life, but when I woke up last night in the middle of the night with yet another headache, I thought (finally) that maybe something should be done about them. But what? I quickly ran through my options:

Smash my head with a rock...It always sounds so relieving in the moment.

Go see my family dr...He calls me 'Meliss' and I think he's great, but don't think he's ever actually helped me with any problems I've come to him for.

Go to a chiropractor. The reason I'm tempted to do this is that I think I got whiplash while boogie boarding back in April, and since then, all my headaches seem to stem from where my head and neck meet. I'm afraid, however, that once I go, I'll have to keep going the rest of my life....

Take my roommate's hormone (supplement-type) pills. She claims any ailment I feel could be fixed with these...but I'm a little skeptical. And I'm lazy...2 of those huge pills a day for the rest of my life?! no thanks.

Relaxation techniques. Most of my headaches will not go away without taking excedrin tension headache pills...so maybe I just need to relax more in life? (ok, mom...so maybe you're right). For some reason, though, just repeating "relaaahaax...." over and over again in my mind doesn't seem to be working.

Nothing. I figure it's worked out so well thus far....

Please advise me!

Seriously...what would you recommend? My good night's sleep misses me.

8 comments:

jojoba said...

maybe it's a tumor

Julie said...

I know it sounds kinda scary, but maybe you should see a neurologist...my co-worker has always had bad migraines and headaches, and nothing touched them until she went to a doctor who specializes in treating them. So, that's my vote...take advantage of those health benefits and see the doc. :) Headaches completely stink--I'm personally against them.

Tia said...

It sounds like how I felt before I found out that I had ulcers. I took Nexium each day for a few years and Wa-Lah, all better. The great "side effects" of Nexium were that they got rid of my headaches and heartburn, among other unmentionable ulcer related issues.

glarcy said...

Sad...I wish I had an ulcer...you make it sound so easy :) They did a scope on me a couple years ago and found no ulcers...that could have changed, of course, but I don't think it has because my stomach pain has actually been getting better. Also I've never had heartburn...and only the occasional runny tummy :)

Jeff said...

I recommend the following:

1. Do relaxing things. You do tend to get a little worked up sometimes, such as when you are worried about your car as noted in a recent post. That stress may or may not be contributing to your headaches but some relaxation definitely couldn't hurt.

2. Drink more water. I get headaches sometimes and it usually means that my body is slightly dehydrated. If I drink extra water it usually goes away after a bit.

3. If all else fails see a doctor. This is always a last resort for me, because, like you, they never seem to actually help. But, theoretically, they have been trained to know how to help you.

marlamuppets said...

poor poor melissa. i come from a druglord family as well. poppin pills is just what we do. however, my mom's migraines are so bad that she gives herself a shot in her leg of imitrex. if she catches it in time, it will divert the headache. i hope you can find something that will help!

marlamuppets said...

ps
"it's not a tumah"

tanyamae said...

maybe they are connected to trauma... a psychologist who studies trauma spoke to us 2 weeks ago... i was convinced that all of my ailments are connected to trauma... but what trauma? not sure... think i need psychotherapy to figure that one out... probably repressed it all.