Thursday, March 27, 2008

mental note: do laundry before next wednesday

I've gotten slack in my compulsiveness to be on time. I relaxed and left work 5 minutes late yesterday to get to my temple shift. I lazily sang along to U2's Ultraviolet Love as i took my usual route that turns at the purple turtle. Then I notice that the road I take that breaks off to the temple is closed and I think no big deal. I'll just go up to highland and take the Alpine highway back down to the temple. The only flaw in that plan is that I wasn't sure which road, exactly, was alpine highway. About the time I was crossing the railroad tracks in American Fork, I figured out that I must have taken the wrong road. No big deal, I think...I've found it before by just looking above the trees for the steeple and driving towards it (all the while thinking how dangerously fun it will be to walk into the meeting late). I spot the steeple and drive towards it. It's just a church. Curse this valley for having so many steeples! I drive east looking for it, then west, then north. Then I just give up and drive back to state st to go a way that I am certain arrives at the temple (since it seems to have vanished off the face of the earth). Traffic is terrible and I end up going the wrong way on state and have to drive a ways to turn around. By this time I'm literally yelling everything but obscenities (come on...I'm driving to the temple) at the top of my lungs in my car. A Harry Nilsson song randomly plays and I am no longer carelessly singing along. It's the mellowest song I own but is helpless against my raging inferno:

Open the window and take a deep sigh.
Think about letting the rest of the world go by.
Taking it easy, is easy as pie....

Says you, Harry.

I finally make it through traffic to the temple an hour after I left work. I throw on my dress only to realize that it is a crinkled mess and has three large, greasy stains right on the front of it. Figures.

5 comments:

jojoba said...

hehe. I like that story.

Apparently your new post isn't as inflamatory as your last one. No one has commented yet.

Jeff said...

This is a fabulous story. I have nothing long winded or geeky to say about it, just expressing my appreciation for a great story.

Tia said...

I feel like this everyday it seems like. I think traffic and time is against me! But, isn't it nice to have a bit of spice and drama once in a while that you can share with others? :)

Tia said...

Oh, by the way, Yvonne had her baby last Thursday, she is so stinkin' cute!!!

glarcy said...

Congrats to Yvonne! Is she going to keep working?