Sunday, June 27, 2010

part 15 of 364

Things that keep Melissa alive

Part 15: A listening ear

For those of you who only know me from high school (probably nobody) then you might be shocked to know I like to talk. The rest of you probably already knew this and have already closed your computers at the prospect of hearing (reading) me prattle away yet some more.

I have discovered over the years that my talking through things isn't just enjoyable for me, but also serves a problem solving functionality. You don't even need to tell me the solution to my problem, but just me talking it out in your direction usually guides me to my own answer.

For example: many, many times I have IMed my boss in frustration about some sort of programming mayhem I am caught in and can't seem to fix. Every time, I either come up with the solution myself soon after, or it just magically starts working all on its own. The magic (I believe) is just in expressing my frustration.

I noticed Jeff experienced this same phenomenon a couple of blog posts ago. I do believe his solution was given in a comment... So sometimes the solution is right in front of us and we just need someone to point the way! I think I will try jumping on the magical tell-the-blogging-world-your-problems train and see what happens.

Here Goes: For 2 years now, my car has been dying on me at random inopportune times. I have taken it to shop after shop and no one can seem to diagnose it for me. Myriads of cables, sensors, motors and thingys have been tested, cleaned, replaced and prayed over. Nothing ever tests bad, and if we try replacing something it doesn't solve the problem. 2 summers ago, I tried putting higher grade gas in (though my shop said that shouldn't matter) and driving it on the freeway every 2 weeks and the problem went almost clean away. I think it died 4 times in the next 2 years. That's a heck lot better than 4 times a day. I figured I could live with that, but then 2 weeks ago, it started dying again.. but worse than ever! It would sometimes die 10-15 times just in one day. I started to get really good at driving my automatic car like a stick shift: Neutral, Restart, Drive, Stop, Die, Neutral, Restart, Drive...etc.

So I've been taking it to shops again, hoping someone would be able to find the problem now. But still nothing. No one can get it to die for them (of course) and nothing ever tests bad on the car.

I, of course, have had myriads of theories that I (of course) discover online. The mechanics always scoff at my naive attempts to diagnose my car. But what to do? They refuse to actually prove me right or wrong and in the end, I pay them $80 for a shoulder shrug.

I woke up with my latest theory at 5am this morning and looked it up... so of course, now I am convinced that my problem is the fuel pump. But what do you think? What should I do?

...ok, magic... do your thing. Fix my car, already.

And while you're at it, can you solve the mystery of the missing husband?

11 comments:

Tia said...

Happy Birthday on Tuesday!!!

Jeff said...

I don't have any brilliant ideas for your car. The first car I ever owned was a ghetto Ford Probe. It has a problem somewhere in the electrical system that caused it to run out the battery. Every time I started it I had to jump it. Once it started it ran fine but that was a bit annoying. No mechanic could find the problem though. I bought a new alternator, a new battery and tried various other things but nothing fixed it. Ultimately, my solution was to buy a new car.

As for the missing husband: I don't have any solid solutions for you, but there is still one Stockett brother you've never been on a date with. I'm just saying.

Mary Ann said...

You'll have to let me know if the problem magically resolves itself. In the meantime, maybe you shouldn't drive your car to Salt Lake, eh? I'll keep my eyes peeled for your missing husband.

Andrea said...

Since I read this post maybe you're car problem will be magically solved as well! Fuel pump sounds as good as anything.

Julie said...

So, I'm sorry I have no idea exactly what is wrong with your car, but I can tell you that I found a new mechanic that I truly love. They saved me from spending $500 on my car when it only needed $82. So, this is my referral to Hatchett Automotive in Orem. They've done great work on my sister-in-law's car as well, and my brother (the diesel mechanic) trusts them as well. Perhaps the Hatchett brothers could help you! :) And about the husband...don't worry, I'm looking for all of us, and well, I'm still looking. He'd have to be pretty amazing to qualify to be your husband! :)

Jana and Rob said...

Our car died and it was the fuel pump so maybe that's it. Good luck. We found that taking our car to BYU-Idaho's mechanic shop is better and cheaper than any place around here. They solved our A/C problem for $40 instead of $500 like the mechanic shop wanted.

Katie said...

The fuel pump may be it. But part of me thinks that the mysterious problem will never be solved because your car, sadly, is turning into a lemon.

My condolences.

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jojoba said...

I don't have a car, or a husband. I think you should sell the one to find the other. Cryptic, I know, but that's all I know about it.

jaustin620 said...

Melissa, try calling the click 'n clack brothers. They are on NPR on Saturday morning. They are a hoot. Even if they can't find the problem you will get a good laugh. But they seem to really know their stuff. You have to describe everything the car is doing and maybe even put in a sound effect or two. :)

glarcy said...

Can you believe that I already called car-talk to try and get on with this problem and they ignored me? I think it's cause they don't know what's wrong with my car...so if they can't tell me what's wrong when I call, they don't want to bother talking to me.