Friday, June 11, 2010

all about me

Do you remember that journal everyone had as a kid? It was called "all about me" and had an orange spine with ballet slippers on the front? (I can't find it to show you online, which surprises me because I think EVERYONE had one). It had my favorite color (green), tv actor (harry morgan), and food (mexican) listed in it. That made it All About Me.

My work paid for us to go to the "Get Motivated" conference at the energy solutions arena on Wednesday. Here is the number one thing they stressed about motivation getting:
"Today is all about you, so invest in yourself"

This made me feel so much better about being selfish! I always thought that putting myself first felt good and now I know why! I decided to invest in myself by paying $10 for parking for the event and going to Zupa's instead of Mcdonald's for lunch. But, I think they were hoping I would invest in myself by running toward them with my credit card in my outstretched hand.

The meeting began with us waiting for it to start and listening to motivational music like eye of the tiger and man in the mirror with a graphic of a man crossing a finish line spinning in circles in front of us. The rest of the meeting can best be described as General Conference without the gospel. But, wait! Did I say there was no religion at this conference? Not at all! Right before lunch, Tamara (the creator of the conference) gave us her Jesus Rap, in which she said that all we have to do is accept Jesus and we're saved immediately! Close.... but so far. Dear Tamara: Where did Jesus say to make it all about me?

It also reminded me of that quote from The Princess Bride: "Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."

It's a good thing that Wesley's words were there in my mind to help me recognize a sales pitch. Drop. Your. Sword.

10 comments:

Andrea said...

I definitely have that book and I'm jealous of Zupas for lunch. Glad you learned something though.

Mary Ann said...

I'm kind of bummed that I don't remember that journal. I can't believe that a company that is going under would pay to take you all to such a worthwhile training. :)

jojoba said...

That is a good quote to remember. Next time someone tries to sell me something I will be prepared

Julie Baldwin said...

I have the journal...I think I might just go pull it out and have a good laugh.

Princess Bride quotes ALWAYS save the day. If you need a good laugh or a bit of wisdom. :)

Jeff said...

Another excellent way to invest in yourself is to give me your money. I'm not selling anything though. I promise I won't give you any product in exchange for your cash.

Tia said...

So funny, my coworkers said very similar things about the conference! Glad it gave you something to blog about - I love reading your posts!

Stacey said...

Totally had one of those. Sadly, it has disappeared into oblivion.

Kim said...

Jacob and I both have one of those journals, but somehow his is much funnier than mine. Maybe cause it's all about the girl he had a crush on when he was 10 years old.

Jana and Rob said...

Kim, Lou, and Anna all had those journals! I think I'm gonna try and find one of them while I'm here.

Lou said...

Oh my gosh! I forget how funny you are! That makes me feel better about being selfish too b/c I sure am! And Zupa's WAS good! And I probably have my journal of the same kind on my bookshelf of journals. I bet it was your mom who told mine about them. We had to fill them out EVERY Sunday till she got tired of us whining. heehee Pester til they cave; that's my motto!