Monday, June 01, 2009

weekend: signs of spring

Went to my sister-in-law's (something tells me it's supposed to be sister's-in-law...but oh well) graduation from Westminster college. My favorite moments of the day long celebration:

1- The bird that pooped on my shirt* (including an undigested worm) with incredible aim...right in the center of my chest.

2- When my brother and sister-in-law footed our brunch fee and my mom bought my dinner for me.

3- The more than 50% of the graduates that were "cum laude". First of all, how does that work?! Second, wouldn't you feel like a loser when you're in the minority because you're not cum laude?

4- The girl who had soccer cleats around her neck instead of honors ropes.

5- All the professors who could not hood the masters students without gagging them...every time.

6- The 40 minutes total of bagpipe music as the graduates and professors took the longest time possible to march to and from their seats.

7- There's always that one girl that insists on hitting the uber high note at the end of the star spangled banner when performing it.

8- Sitting by my friend Catherine at church the next day when she leans over and announces: "I went to a 3 hour graduation yesterday!!..."

* the same shirt I threw up all over a month ago...I think that shirt hates me.

7 comments:

jojoba said...

good stories. I guess Jon and Katie are high class now, buying brunch for everyone...

Jeff said...

Sounds like a high quality adventure, especially the part about the bird pooping with excellent aim.

Andrea said...

You should probably retire that shirt. Or at least stop wearing it to Salt Lake.. seems to be a bit of bad luck.

Erin said...

I seriously love reading your blog. It always makes me smile. Um, is your national debt counter for real?

Mary Ann said...

Um, I just about dry-heaved thinking about the undigested worm in the bird poop. Sick!

Marla said...

seriously too funny melissa - a bird pooped on me when i was camping - it only ever happens to me and no one else. however, in the movie under the tuscan sun, it's a sign of good luck.

Jon said...

I think the undigested worm in the bird poop is a metaphor for how a student feels at their graduation.