Monday, July 06, 2009

what would you do with $600

ok, so I got a surprise check in the mail this week from Utah Retirement Systems. Apparently they were tired of my Retirement fund from when I was working at the Orem Library going untouched and decided to just close it out and send me a check (with 20% taken out for taxes, of course). I should also note: This retirement account is my only retirement account. Isn't that sad that the only job I've had that offered retirement was my very first job when I was 16? So what should I do with this check?

1) Add it to my Roth IRA never to be touched again

2) Put it in my savings account to perhaps be used towards a house down payment

3) Buy the macbook I've been eying (ok half of one)

4) Find a $600 flight somewhere....

5) Take my family and friends out to eat many times

6) Other (please specify)

9 comments:

jojoba said...

Take your sister out to eat and buy her books!

Jeff said...

I choose option 5: take Jeff and Robyn out to eat since you never see them anymore. But, if you don't do that I choose to save it towards a house.

Julie Baldwin said...

I think money that drops from heaven should be spent on something fun. If you want we can come over and knock on your door and hand you the check and make you feel like you just won something special. We even have balloons and I can make a big "fake check".

Buy something that you have been wanting for a long time.

Or save it. Money in the bank makes one happy too.

Andrea said...

Technically I should say put it back in. But you only retire from each job once so live it up! Make the library proud.

Tia said...

I agree with Andrea, buy a retirement gift for yourself!!!

Stacey said...

My vote is IRA but I've always been far to practical for my own good:)

Mary Ann said...

I would travel or buy a computer. You're young and single--live it up!

Robyn said...

I am with Jeff on #5, but his other idea would be good too. I always love to save money and just see it grow and get more in the account (maybe that makes me to practical too).

marlamuppets said...

get a discounted mac.
go shopping for some fun shoes.
buy carla an icecream cone.
put 50 dollars in savings.