Wednesday, July 16, 2008

note: next outdoor adventure wear bigger earrings


Story from our Jackson Hole trip. I have a small book of watercolor paper that I made to take to South Africa with me; never quite filled it up there, and have been trying to ever since. Basically the only time I paint in it is on vacations that I think will have scenic views to paint. Usually I find pretty private opportunities to do these paintings (alone on a beach, alone on top of a mountain, alone in Stacey's parent's back yard while they are all taking naps) but sometimes I am not as lucky.

I went for a drive and found viewpoint turnouts of the tetons, selected one to paint and then sat down in the weeds about 10 feet in front of the plaque and started to sketch. People would drive up, get out of their car, stand and talk at the plaque and, I'm guessing, resist the urge to come and peer over my shoulder. About the time that I realized that I had sat in an ant hill but was too lazy to move, I hear two guys talking behind me at the plaque:

"did you know why they are called the tetons?"
"yeah, it means three teats....but I don't get it"
"Yeah, neither do I"
....
"What is that boy drawing over there?"
"I don't know...why doesn't he just take a photo?"

4 comments:

jojoba said...

LAWL

Andrea said...

Ha.. AMAZING!

Tia said...

What idiots! That is pretty funny. We have an accountant here at work that keeps calling Yvonne's beautiful VERY girly-girl a little boy - it is so funny! She has a big pink bow in her hair and a pink blanket!

Jeff said...

That story is hilarious. A friend of mine said that when she was little she got her hair cut really short and she thought she looked like a boy. Her mom reassured her that she was very cute and very girly. As they were leaving the hair cut place they ran into one of her mom's friends. The friend looked down and said "who's this nice young man?" Much crying ensued from the small child. The End.