Thursday, July 24, 2008

happy birthday dad, utah

Ok, so I don't know if the 24th is actually Utah's 'birthday'. That might be Jan 4, 1896, when it was admitted into the union...but who celebrates Jan 4th?!

I'm not lying when I say there are some wonderful (I mean wonderful as in "it's a wonder") things about Utah...and maybe some of those coincide with dad. We'll see.

The BYU. It must be great if every member of our family (except mom...Utah State...bah!) graduated from there (yes, trevor, you will graduate). Dad also taught there. I'm not saying that's why BYU is so great. But it could be. Their sports teams also seem to be really good at breaking hearts all across Utah County. That's a special talent. Mom finally let it out that Dad was a huge fan (which I never really knew) but he wouldn't let himself watch much because it would just make him mad...maybe I'm learning a thing or two from him :)


National Parks. Utah has five national parks...I think I have now visited them all. Here's dad (with a broken arm) on a hike in Zion's that they closed for a while because it was too dangerous. Lady Mountain.

Republicans. Utah republicans are a special breed. Staunchest in the country, I dare say. Many may accuse them of being republican just because that's what all their neighbors are...and they might be right. Hard to say. Dad wasn't overbearing in his political beliefs. I'm pretty sure he was a republican because he knew that's what matched his beliefs the most. If I had ever asked him, I'm sure he would have told me in a way that I could not begin to argue.

Food. Jello, specifically. Utahns know their jello. My dad had a particular gift for this amazing layered jello. This is a picture of one he made for my surprise birthday party a few years ago. beautiful, huh?

Ok, that about sums up my wonders of utah. Let me know if I missed any :)

5 comments:

jojoba said...

What about those pictures I sent you?

glarcy said...

I'd already posted, sorry...but maybe I'll add one now...after the fact.

Tia said...

Mmm...that jello looks like a bright fluffy rainbow and the whip cream is the puffy clouds. Yum.

jojoba said...

by the way, it's "Zion", not "Zion's"

glarcy said...

thbt