Thursday, November 19, 2009

part 9 of 364

Things that keep Melissa alive:

Part 9: Space Heaters

To illustrate the importance of the space heater in my life, allow me to relate my typical nightly bed routine (keep in mind, I live in the basement):

9:30 - Enter 65° bedroom and turn on space heater. Change to pajamas and exit bedroom, closing door behind me

9:35 - Enter bathroom and perform nightly face routine and teeth brushing

9:37 - Re-enter 70° bedroom and sit in front of my bed next to the space heater with a blanket over me and the space heater to read scriptures and about 1 page of a book before the hard ground causes my sits bones to start to throb.

9:55 - Turn off space heater and light. Enter my bed where I have previously placed a heated rice bag at the foot to warm my feet that are still ice-cubes after sitting huddled next to a space heater for 18 minutes.

11:00 - My feet finally warm up and I fall asleep

So... do I have a circulation issues? How does one keep warm in this stinking cold weather?!

On Saturday morning, our furnace started blowing cold air. Question: why does the furnace wait to die until the coldest day of the season to date? We lived in a 55-60° degree house until Tuesday night, but I was mostly fine because of (you guessed it) my space heater. I didn't really even use it much more than I usually do. Just my same bedtime routine and an occasional 10 minute (warm up my aching bones) sit in front of it during the day.

Now we have a nice new furnace and, of course, the weather has also warmed up.

7 comments:

Julie Baldwin said...

Space heaters in the winter, fans in the summer. Is there anywhere in the world that we could live that we wouldn't need to have something to keep things the right temperature?

Mary Ann said...

I say, crank up the heater! My mom passed on her paranoia of space heaters to me. I still mostly believe that they are a fire just waiting to happen. Maybe that's why you turn yours off overnight...

Jeff said...

I love the cold. When Jared lived at my house I bought him a space heater.

In current times, Robyn has like 19,000 blankets and I have one that is halfway draped over me. (mostly it just stays between my legs to prevent them from touching each other.)

Tia said...

My work is always freezing (people have blankets at their desks). My boss has a space heater and since she only comes in on Tues - Thursday I steal it as often as I can to defrost my cube.

Robyn said...

19,000 now really! It is more like 5, but I do still get cold sometimes. Maybe I need to break out that space heater. That would be a great idea! Oh, and I use the rice bag trick too.

Stacey said...

I've always wondered why I hear the microwave twice at night. Nice to know the routine:)

jojoba said...

I like fireplaces, myself. I learned the other day, though, that I have a higher heat tolerance than some. I was watching online tv shows with Heather and she asked if we could turn off the fire. I thought it was just pleasantly warm...