Tuesday, August 25, 2009

part 7 of 364

Things that keep melissa alive:

part 7: Subtitles

I have had a strange fetish for foreign films for nearly 10 years now, but let's face it, I only know a few words in German and Zulu ('how much clock is it?' and 'merry christmas' respectively). So, it's fortuitous that subtitles were invented for me.

Recently, I discovered a new reason to love subtitles. I started running on my roommate's treadmill. I like treadmill running because I can regulate my speed so that I'm not dead after only one block. But I found that in order to watch a movie and be able to understand what was being said that I had to crank the volume level to earsplitting and beyond. So earsplitting that every sound that is made comes with a crackling static sound. I almost gave up on treadmill running as soon as I started for that reason alone.

Then I watched a foreign film and (I kid you not) I thought: Wow, using subtitles is great...I don't have to have the volume up so high. I should just watch foreign films while I run from now on! It took a little while to realize that most movies have the subtitles option, even english ones. so, I've been reaping the benefits of that brilliant discovery ever since.

A few of the advantages and disadvantages of subtitles:

Having to read swear words. Couldn't they just have a bunch of little **** stars or something?

The lame unnecessary explanations in parenthesis: '(making gagging sound while almost vomiting)'

Bad acting can hide behind good subtitles: Reading subtitles can take your attention away from how the actor is actually saying it.

Some things sound beautiful and poetic until you read their translation. Example:"Oh rey chori" = "oh my lassie" (this can be great or painful...it depends)

You don't have to have the volume up so loud that the whole neighborhood knows you are exercising.

Subtitles keep me exercising and that keeps me alive!

6 comments:

jojoba said...

I've always noticed a general prejudice against subtitles. Is it something cultural against reading, perhaps, or is it that the words obstruct a complete view of the cinematography?

Mary Ann said...

I love foreign films too. Scott would love it if I started using subtitles instead of turning up the tv so loud due to my deafness. I once heard that the literacy rate in Finland is high due largely to their frequent reading of subtitles for English movies.

Tia said...

I don't know about foreign films, but I love watching TV while I run - I like to watch Cash Cab and shout out the answers. :)

Jeff said...

I'm not a fan of subtitles. I kind of feel like I'm missing the movie while I'm reading the dialogue. Although, it's true what you said that bad acting can hide behind the subtitles for that reason.

Julie Baldwin said...

I too run and watch movies. I just finished watching all the Harry Potters,...ah!

Did you post this because you are sick of hearing my movies because the volume is up so high? Devin even hooked up bigger speakers so I could turn the volume up even higher.

Jon said...

(keyboard keys clicking) Sometimes it's fun to watch a movie with no sound or subtitles. Then you can make up what is going on in your mind. Usually that's better than the real story.

Of course, why watch a movie when you could just make it up in your mind. It's probably more entertaining that way. And it can involve you.

Let's face it, we're all the star of our own movies. So do you need subtitles to understand your own dialogue?