Saturday, April 08, 2006

Unselfishness Drei

Just when I am so anxious about those around me being selfish at my expense, they prove me wrong. Is it my own (almost forced) recent perceptions? Or have people around me actually been putting forth more of an effort to be unselfish? As much as I like to think I'm an influencing factor in people's lives...it's probably just that they have always been this way and I didn't notice it. Once again, it was my roomate (the other one, this time) that impressed me with her unselfishness and kind consideration of my feelings. So much so, that I was almost overwhelmed with gratitude as I pondered upon it last night. I'm scared to ruin this seemingly new attitude by thanking her. It almost seems best to just say nothing and say a prayer of thanks instead. Is that selfish? Heh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got to thinking about this 'selfishness' thing while I was at my Stake Conference yesterday and the speaker said "Beware the shouldn'ts." I believe that applies here. Sometimes we get so caught up in "I shouldn't do that, I shouldn't do this" that we don't see what we COULD be doing. We get down on ourselves and feel all this guilt and that isn't going to help us move forward. That is not to say you shouldn't try to better yourself...that's what it is all about, but don't get so down on yourself that you can't ever seem to mark any progression because honestly, the fact that you've noticed is progression right there.

Also, I just have a question...I'm curious about your title...what does Drei mean?

Jon said...

No. Probably ought to thank her in an appropriate way. Not too sappy, or she'll feel uncomfortable, but let her know you noticed and appreciated it. It probably would work best if you put the focus on how it made you feel, not how it seems to out of character for her. :)

glarcy said...

Drei is just "three" in german...yeah lame, I know.
I'm still thinking it would be better to just show her I'm thankful. In the past, when I've said stuff like: "Thanks for helping me like that." she responds with something like: "I didn't do it for you." So, i figure it's just better for me to assume she is kind and thoughtful then have her bluntly tell me I had nothing to do with it ;)
And though it's true that nice things just sometimes happen without anybody really thinking them through, it can't hurt to just think the best of people's intentions, can it?

Anonymous said...

Oh der...*smacks forehead*