Monday, March 19, 2012

part 31

Things that keep Melissa alive


Part 31: Hope


I don’t often get preachy on here but I’ve been studying hope lately and it has made me re-evaluate what it is that I hope for.

It’s important that “we overcome the temptation to lose hope,” as Elder Uchdorf said in his talk, The Infinite Power of Hope. So here’s my question: Why would we be tempted to lose hope?  It just doesn’t make sense. I mean, I understand why Satan would want us to be miserable, but why would we be tempted to be miserable? That’s just crazy. But yet, sometimes I actually am tempted to lose hope. And every time I do I think:  how stupid am I?!

My whole life, I’ve thought that there was no need to panic about marriage until I reach the 31 and beyond years.  So I didn’t.  I always reassured myself with things like: “It’s ok that I’m not dating anyone... I’m not 31 yet.”.  or “My older brother is still not married, the pressure is off!”.

But now that I’m actually 32, I realized that I’m supposed to start panicking. So I do - at really random moments.  This led to actually studying what it means to have hope.  And now that my hope of marriage before 31 has trundled on by, I realize that was probably not the best hope to have.  But I have still tried to replace it with other reasons why not getting married is totally fine right now:

  • I want to marry someone young, so that means I have to be older when I marry, right?  But, the older I get makes me wonder: HOW young is my husband going to be?!
  • I want to be financially established before I get married, anyway, so this is good....  but, what does that mean and is it ever going to happen?!
  • I like to be able to travel the world anyway, so I’ll get lots of that in while I wait...Phoenix, here I come!  (Also, Lubbock and Cancun - I am a world traveler, afterall)
Sometimes I like to pretend that my husband is actually traveling with me. This is the two of us posing for silhouette pictures in south africa
  • The longer I wait, the older and richer my relatives become who will be buying me wedding presents. I think this one explains its self.
  • The longer I wait, the more accepting my mom will be of whoever I marry.  When she once said “Melissa, don’t marry an artist”, she now will say “he never graduated high school? Well, that’s totally fine these days!” 
I know these are not the best uses of hope in my situation, but these will hopefully keep me going until I develop true hope.

6 comments:

jojoba said...

I think you need to write a trip to Australia into your world traveller plans. I would be on board for that one.

Charles and Carrie said...

When are you coming to Phoenix? It would be fun to get together.

Jeff said...

My youngest brother is still single. He's the only Stockett you haven't dated, and he totally qualifies as young. So feel free to make that happen.

Mary Ann said...

Your future husband sure looks like a great basketball player. I have more hope for you than I ever did for myself. And I still think of you as like 28, so I guess I'll start looking for a recently returned missionary for you. I had no idea you wanted a younger man.

Taralyn said...

Positive thinking!! When the time is right, it will happen.

Stacey said...

Ah, you're still young . . . don't you love it when people say that?