Monday, March 22, 2010

pickers and blowers

It's taken me a long time to get up the courage to talk about this. But, rest assured, I've been thinking about it for a good 2 years.

My mom is a blower. I know I heard her honking blow at least once a day growing up. Dad, on the other hand was a picker (I just know, ok). I saw our family divide down the middle with most of the boys (I don't know about all of them) becoming blowers and the girls pickers (yes, that's me... and sorry, Jo, your secret is out). I didn't really think about this divide spreading across the human race until I moved into my current apartment 2 years ago. For some reason, it felt like I was living with my mom... then I realized it's because every night and every morning, I would hear honking sounds from my roommate above me. Then it hit me: She's a blower! I mentioned it to my other roommate and admitted to her that I am a definite picker. She also admitted to being a picker but had the desire to switch teams.

So, what is the benefit of blowing? I'm pretty sure it would not get the job done for me. Only when I have a cold do I actually blow my nose. But, daily blowing? I can't see how that would produce satisfactory results.

side-note: Just in case you are thinking of switching from the blowing team to the picking team (you know you want to), you should know that being a picker can be risky. I understand that some people are pickers but are more conservative about when they choose to pick. I, on the other hand, have fallen pray many times to the classic blunder of thinking no one is around and it is safe to proceed when that is never, ever the case. When will I learn?

6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I absolutely love this post! I'm a picker too. So is Scott. I agree that blowing alone just doesn't cut it. I do blow my nose once a day right after I brush my teeth in the morning because it makes my nose run, but I always follow up the blowing with some picking. I feel so good to have my secret out. :) And for the record, Scott is a less conservative picker, and I like to think that I am more discreet. Maybe that's my blunder...

jojoba said...

I feel like you've released my deepest and darkest secret. Is this what being outed by a friend feels like?

Julie Baldwin said...

To represent the "blowers" I feel that a good hard "wake up the neighbors" blow every morning and evening is just...essential. I am happy to report that at 16 months, Anna has become a blower too. It is really cute.

Jeff said...

I feel good about team picker. I'm glad you shared this with us. I've never even thought about the great divide in the human race, but it's true.

Tracy Blackburn said...

um, mostly i am just disgusted by the picture you posted.

Lou said...

Um, gross! But I'm a picker too. lol Still...so gross! Better have better posts from your travels across the world. You're obviously running out of material. =)