Monday, December 12, 2011

part 30 of 356

Things that keep Melissa alive

Part 30: The Funny


I love reading funny books.  And I love books that are autobiographical in nature because these seem to be the best forum for people to display their funny.  I don't read a lot of fantasy or science fiction because these seem to be the worst forum for authors to be funny.  Actually, it's more that they are a different kind of funny (aka, weird).

Every time I read a book that I feel is funny and clever at the same time, it makes me want to be a writer like that.  It's got to be easy, right?  My journal entries suddenly become more thought through.  I do everything I can to emulate the writing of these books in my blog, scouts and primary lessons.

I think my latest find has inspired me the most of any funny book I've read:


So many other books are supposedly funny but once I actually read them, I'm not impressed.  So here's my question:  Why can't other "funny" writers actually be funny like Tina Fey?  Right before I read this, I read David Sedaris' Christmas book.  Sometimes I do find him mildly funny, but I couldn't even make it through this latest one I read.  I found it too bitter and sarcastic.  Where's the funny, David?

It's true that Tina Fey's book isn't perfection -  It has waay too much swearing for my taste but the humor in it is a clean humor that made me cry on several occasions.

I dream of her writing a second, but what are the chances of that?  I guess I'll have to go back to the authors that are almost as inspiring like:

  • Haven Kimmel
  • Terry Tempest Williams
  • Dave Barry
But I've already read most of their books!  So they better get cracking.

Here are some other modes of Funny that I like and you should try too, if you get the chance:
  • Colbert Report
  • Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me (NPR radio news quiz on every saturday and available for podcast)
  • Wait, Wait Don't blog me - Sandwich Monday posts.  (I look forward to reading these posts every Monday.  Here is one of my favorites)
So now I need your help.  I really had lost to the joy of reading until I picked up Tina Fey's book.  So now what do I do?  I need to fill that large hole she left in the funny ventricle of my heart.  What are your favorite funny things/authors?  I need to get filling that void fast!

5 comments:

Janeheiress said...

This makes me want to write a blog post about the funny in Science Fiction and Fantasy. Because you're right, it's hard to do. So much humor derives from cultural references or word play, which are out of place when you're trying to create a different culture with a different language. The funniest scifi book I've read involved time travel to the Victorian age so there was plenty of history to poke fun at, as well as the plot being sort of a Wodehousian comedy of errors.

I wish there were more comedic books that didn't have so much swearing. I've had Terry Tempest Williams on my list for a while though, so I'll have to check one of her books out!

Mary Ann said...

Maybe this post will inspire me to finally read Tina Fey's book. But I think I'd rather read yours someday. :)

jojoba said...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/waitwait/2011/06/20/137302525/sandwich-monday-a-spamwich-for-women

This is my favorite Sandwich Monday. And I think that people should read PG Wodehouse's Psmith books if they want to laugh. Or feel smug that they understand british irony.

Also, no matter what you say, Terry Pratchett is hilarious.

jojoba said...

I am not smart. I can't make that link work. Sorry.

tanyamae said...

I don't usually read funny. I usually read boring and emotional... but I'm changing my ways. Just purchased Tina's book.