Thursday, October 06, 2011

part 28 of 365

Things that keep Melissa alive

Part 28: Cheap houses


That's right, at the age of 32, I am finally nearing the final approach to the penultimate of being an adult:  Owning my own place.  You notice that I say 'nearing the final approach'.  I don't actually know if I'm really in the final approach because I just started looking, and let me tell you, it might take me a while to find exactly what I want.

Don't get me wrong, I have found plenty of houses that I like the inside of - but not the outside.  And plenty that are great outside and then horrible inside.  There have even been two that had the best of both worlds for me.  But one sold before I could even go look at the place and the other one is in Provo (need I say more...).  The best part is that since my price range is so low, I routinely come across houses that I'm not really positive actually pass for houses.  And some probably really are houses, but you'd never know it from their pictures.

Speaking of that, what is the deal with the pictures people take?  Do they not realize that the very success of the sale begins with the pictures?  I was browsing houses online this morning and copied a few of my favorite pics to show you:

Good news: Apparently this house has a floor - and it's some sort of wood substance.  Also, I hope they leave the existing curtains for me! 

This one I just like because they must have known me and my style.  This kitchen area makes me happy on so many levels.
extra bonus:  This house is in my current ward!  It was meant for me.

This house looks nice... to live next to.  That's right, this is some other house on the street.  What better way to sell your house than to deflect attention from it and focus on the others around?  (maybe these guys are smarter than I originally thought)

Apparently, this house comes with a computer and desk!  Either that, or they wanted to get a close-up of the nice paint job on the walls.

I may never find my dream roof to put over my head, but at least the searching process will keep me entertained until I do.  And that keeps me alive.

8 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Thanks for the entertainment. Seriously funny! So are you going to buy the house with the yellow kitchen? It's totally you.

Tia said...

Good luck in your search! There are lots of great deals out there right now. That yellow kitchen was built with you in mind - I can't even imagine a more perfect kitchen for you!
If you get an itch to live in Spanish Fork, I'll give you a great deal on a 3 bed/3bath/2 car garage townhouse. :)

Cox Family said...

I echo the yellow kitchen being made for you. Seriously you could make that room look awesome and you wouldn't have to change much about it! We're excited for you and can't wait to see what you find. Maybe next year you can host Thanksgiving!

Jeff said...

It is a fun process. It took me 3 years of looking on and off before I finally decided I was ready to take the plunge with my first house. Just enjoy the process. You'll find something you love eventually.

jojoba said...

I love a yellow kitchen. "I painted it. I like yellow."

Mary Ann said...

The only thing I love more than the yellow kitchen is jojoba's reference to "One Magic Christmas." Awesome.

Jessi said...

You need to listen to this song: The House Of Your Dreams
by Harvey Andrews

glarcy said...

Mary Ann, I think it makes me even more happy that you recognized the one magic christmas reference - but also it made me sad that I didn't think of the quote before jo did.

Jessi - I can't find that song anywhere online. Is it an obscure bassoon song by chance? :)