Monday, September 27, 2010

things learned from Mozzie

Not this Mozzie:


This Mozzie:


I am not referring to the quirky side-kick on the USA network show, White Collar. I am referring to the newest member of my family that I named after said TV show character.

I found Mozzie here on my search for fall leaves:

I have always wanted a horned lizard as a pet, let's just get that out in the open right now. So hiking along this trail and seeing dozens of Mozzie's running around at my feet was a dream come true.

Some ways I have discovered that I am like Mozzie:
  • I, too, must be cold blooded because I, too, need a heat rock at the bottom of my bed every night to warm up my feet.
  • I find that I can live on very little water, just like Mozzie
  • I, too, can be hypnotized by a good back rub (ok... he likes belly rubs):
I know, I know.. he looks dead, but he's really just hypnotized by my huge finger rubbing his tiny belly.

And in the category of: Most startling realization I made about myself - The award goes to:

I will never sleep as a parent.
The first day I had him, I looked up how to care for a horned lizard and read website after website that strongly urged not to try and care for a horned lizard because they are too delicate and complicated to care for.

So the first night I had him, I put some crickets in his cage and set it in the window sill by my bed. I lay there for hours anxiously worrying that he wouldn't even make it through the night.

I finally fell asleep and when I awoke early the next morning, I nervously peeked in the cage and to my joy saw him skittering around all lively. Two of the crickets were even gone! And the next morning another cricket was gone! Then... that day, as I cleaned my room, I found two tiny crickets bouncing around my shoes in my closet. The realization hit me that he was not eating the crickets afterall.. I can't even keep a lizard alive!

So today, I make the trip back up to buffalo peak to set him free. Maybe it really is better not to have a child then to be constantly worrying about one.

5 comments:

Mary Ann said...

That's sad that you're going to set him free. He looks so happy in your hand! I think you will make a great mommy--and a great baby-sitter. :)

Andrea said...

I'm so happy you went back to get him! I could not handle crickets in my shoes though. I hope the setting him free goes well.

Jeff said...

One time while we were tracting we found a horned lizard. Even though it was against the rules my companion decided to take it home. We named him Little Buddy. He kept him alive for a long time. Even after we were both transferred away from that area I ran into him in another city and he still had Little Buddy.

jojoba said...

Poor Mozzie. I hope the winter is kind to him. Also, I liked Jeff's story. G-I bet horned lizards are harder than kids. Kids kinda do come with an instruction manual and readily available food that they will eat and such.

Stacey said...

Of course I was most attracted to the photoshopping of the pics. Nice!